Tuesday, May 11, 2010

So much the slacker

What's in the bucket? Not a list. The business end of a manual transmission more like it.

I like to follow the 914ev group on Google; and try to head problem off at the pass. One of the common problem with the 914 conversion is the RPM's. Mainly how many there are. The 30 year old 901 transmission just isn't up to +5,000 RPM. And they tend to develop a rather sever oscillation at the higher RPM's. So this led me to conclude I needed to rebuild the transmission.
So here I am; pulling one apart. I suspect most of the vibrations are from the rear-end bearing. Even though my transmission is is good shape; the 30 year old bearing has quite a lot of play. and at the high RPM, that might not be the best thing.
I'm still not sure about replacing the flywheel with a lighter racing version, but we'll see.

No comments: