Saturday, May 31, 2008

Idle hands do the devil's work.

After making a huge mess in the garage, and pitting new types of grease and grim againest my wife. Now that the cars is finished. At least till the middle of next month anyways. It's time to pay the piper. 1 gallon of grease cutter (the bio friendly type), a scrub brush, and two hours of labor gives you this!

This also required a couple of 'Aleve' that evening.

Last time it will be yellow.

I've got the date; June 12th. I'll send the car up north, and it will come back minus any paint. But here it is: for the last time, in yellow!

Front end completly torn down.

All the door trim and dashboard removed.
Engine compartment all bare and wraped for transport.

And the final indignity. No doors or wheel.

Next shots will be of the naked cars. At last dirty pictures. Ironically they actually will be very clean...

A Man, a plan, a Sears gift card, and a Memorial Day sale...

My MIL has a great sense for gifts. For Christmas she sent a Sears gift card. Well I needed a jack and stands a couple of months ago. So part of it went there...

But I've been biding my time; wait for the moment to exact my revenge from Sears for the 'Tuffins' pants my mom used to buy us.

At last the three day weekend was upon us; %50 off plus %15 with coupon. It was time to strike!

Revenge is sweet my friends, revenge is sweet (and metric).

I think the bolt is giving way...

Say what you want about my K-Mart tools; at least they don't break.

Gotta lay off that spinach.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Well there’s your problem

Having dropped the engine; there remained one major system to remove.

All the wires. Rick came by and we got medieval on the wiring harness. And the gas lines, clutch cable, gas and speed-o-meter cables.

Oh, yeah:

All the internal (and external) trim.

Two weeks of work

I've been getting a lot of support, both from friends and my wife. My friends getting greasy and my wife freeing up my time.

Well maybe the brakes still need a little work…

But major props to Alberto at club NARP for spending a day here at Ground Zero Labs.

Something seems to be missing….

Look ma, no engine (and transmission (and exhaust)).

A couple of years to go

I'm working to make sure this car gets another 30+ year, just with no gasoline. So maybe I might pass it along. But jeez wait till it's done!

Nice 10 – 2 style.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the she has already told me the car has to stay yellow. "For Bumble-Bee Tranformer Dad!"

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Hey is that rust, or are you just happy to see me?

Pulled off the side runners and finally saw what was (and wasn't) left of the car side. I have no frame flex or distortion so there's something holding the car together. It's just not the right side of the car

You know you might need that part of the car for later….. The sad part is when I removing the side panel, the jack point was interfering. So I put a screwdriver in the bend it out of the way… by hand.

The left side runner has a surprise for me as well…

I didn't know people took 914's off road. But how, that much mud get's into a side panel; I'll never know.

Taking things apart

As you may recall I'm going to send the 914 off to be Soda Blasted. This is a greatly improved version of sand blasting. This will take the car down to bear metal. Having never done this before the fine people over at Cal-Blaster have advised me to remove everything from that car.

"The less on the car, the better our access." So I'm removing everything.

Here's the front of the car, sans headlights and bumper. The fog-lamps and headlight frames were removed next.

The rear getting the same treatment.

Oh how those wheels turn.

It's not that I haven't been working on the car; it's just that I have been so busy, I haven't been able to update much. But after two people have mentioned that updating the blog might be a good idea I'm taking the hint. And hopefully be able to use a new tool to write the post (allowing me to post more often).